LA WEB DE READING COMPREHENSION PREFERIDA POR LOS HISPANOHABLANTES

To get information in Spanish place the arrow of your mouse on the highlighted words without clicking.
Para obtener información en español acerca la flecha de tu ratón a las palabras o frases resaltadas.

THE OPEN WINDOW - ACTIVITIES

Hector Hugh Munro "Saki"

 

If you are an educator the activities below can help you spice up your English class. Enjoy them!!

 
 

A.

ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS.

1.

What did you learn from the first two paragraphs of the story about the people in it?

2.

What tragedy did Vera describe?

3.

Why was Mrs Sappleton's conversation horrible to Mr Nuttel?

4.

At what moment did Mr Nuttel make his escape?

5.

'One would think he had seen a ghost.' Why did he act as if he had seen one?

6.

What was Vera's explanation of the visitor's strange behaviour?

7.

'Romance at short notice was her speciality.' How does the story show this?

8.

Do you think Mr Nuttel deserved to be treated like this? If so, why?

B.

CHOOSE THE CORRECT ONE OF THESE EXPRESSIONS TO COMPLETE EACH OF THE SENTENCES BELOW: dazed, diet, dusk, for the time of year, on my nerves, out of place, self-possessed, since her time, without a word of apology, without warning.

1.

The child was not shy of strangers. She was perfectly ...

2.

Tragedies seemed ... in this peaceful country spot.

3.

Your sister does not know about the tragedy, it happened ...

4.

They will stay out shooting till it is ...

5.

The visitor rushed away ...

6.

The treacherous marsh gave way ...

7.

It is unusually warm ...

8.

People who tell me about their illnesses get ...

9.

My sister is too fat. The doctor has ordered her a strict...

10.

The cyclist was ... by the collision.

C.

GIVE THE CORRECT FORM OF THE VERBS IN BOLD TYPE.

1.

He doubted whether these formal visits would do much towards (help) the nerve cure.

2.

Your nerves will be worse than ever from (mope).

3.

You must try and (put up) with me.

4.

A cyclist was obliged (run) into the hedge to avoid (collide) with him.

5.

He was preparing (leave) for the country.

6.

The dogs spent the night (snarl) above the grave.

7.

She left the window open for the men (come) in from shooting.

8.

He regretted (have) letters of introduction to his sister's acquaintances.

9.

You may wonder at our (keep) the window open in October.

10.

In (cross) the moor for a day's shooting they were lost for ever.

D.

PUT THE EXPRESSIONS IN BOLD TYPE IN THE MOST SUITABLE PLACE IN THESE SENTENCES.

1.

 'My aunt will be down,' said Vera. (presently)

2.

He doubted more than ever if these visits would do him any good. (privately)

3.

I shall give you letters of introduction to all the people I know. (just, there)

4.

My sister was staying at the rectory some four years ago. (here)

5.

'Then you know nothing about my aunt?' continued the young lady. (practically)

6.

Places that were safe in other years gave way. (without warning, suddenly)

7.

The child's voice became human. (hesitatingly)

8.

Poor dear aunt, she has told me how they went out. (often)

9.

She rattled on about the shooting. (cheerfully)

10.

Framton shivered as she greeted her husband. (slightly)

E.

REWRITE THE SENTENCES BELOW USING ADJECTIVES FROM THE STORY INSTEAD OF THE PHRASES IN BOLD TYPE. EXAMPLE:
The niece was a young lady (with a calm and assured manner).
The niece was a self-possessed young lady.

1.

This winter snipe and duck are (difficult to find because there are not many of them).

2.

He paid a number of visits (merely out of a sense of duty).

3.

I do not like discussing my private affairs with acquaintances (whom I have met accidentally).

4.

The niece thought they had been long enough (without speaking to each other).

5.

He introduced me to his brother (that he liked best).

6.

It is a quiet evening. Even the birds are (not moving or singing).

7.

They walked over the carpet with their boots (covered with earth).

8.

In the twilight (which grew darker every moment) he could distinguish the older man's white raincoat.

9.

The shooting party returned with a brown spaniel (which wanted to lie down and rest).

10.

The singer could not perform at the concert because a cold had left her (with a weak and unmusical voice).

F.

SUBJECTS FOR COMPOSITION AND DISCUSSION:

1.

A conversation between two doctors about Mr Nuttel.

2.

Which of these opinions do you agree with? Give reasons for your answer.
a) Mrs Sappleton's niece was a naughty girl and ought to have been punished.
b) Mrs Sappleton's niece was a clever girl and was quite right to do what she did.

 

Click here to read this short story all over again

 

MAS "CUENTOS CORTOS INGLESES"   FORO   INICIO