LA WEB DE READING COMPREHENSION PREFERIDA POR LOS HISPANOHABLANTES

To get information in Spanish place the arrow of your mouse on the highlighted words without clicking.
Para obtener información en español acerca la flecha de tu ratón a las palabras o frases resaltadas.

ALICE IN WONDERLAND (Page 2/3)

Lewis Carroll

 

Three conversations from "A Mad Tea-Party"

 

CONVERSATION 2
Alice, the Mad Hatter and the March
Hare talk about the Hatter's watch
.

Click on PLAY to listen.
Pulsa en REPRODUCIR para escuchar.

 

CHARACTERS: ALICE (Alicia); THE MAD HATTER (El Sombrerero)
THE MARCH HARE (La Liebre de Marzo)

 

MAD HATTER

What day of the month is it?

ALICE

Um... The fourth.

MAD HATTER

Two days wrong! (looking angrily at the March Hare) I told you butter wouldn't suit the works!

MARCH HARE

It was the best butter.

MAD HATTER

Yes, but some crumbs must have got in as well. (grumbling) You shouldn't have put it in with the bread-knife.

MARCH HARE

(dipping the watch in his cup of tea) It was the best butter, you know.

ALICE

What a funny watch! It tells the day of the month, and doesn't tell what o'clock it is!

MAD HATTER

Why should it? Does your watch tell you what year it is?

ALICE

Of course not... But that's because it stays the same year for such a long time together.

MAD HATTER

Which is just the case with mine.

ALICE

(as politely as she can) I don't quite understand you.

 

GLOSSARY

two days wrong: an error of two days (dos días de error)
butter wouldn't suit the works: butter was not good for the watch machinery (que la manteca no le hace bien a la maquinaria)
crumbs: small pieces of bread (migas, migajas)
grumbling: making complaining remarks or noises under his breath (gruñendo)
must have got in as well: they may also have got inside (deben haberse metido también)
bread-knife:
a knife used to cut bread (cuchillo para el pan)

dipping: immersing briefly into a liquid (sumergiendo)
what o'clock it is: the real time it is (qué hora exacta es)
it stays the same year: the year is the same for such as long time (permanece en el mismo año)
politely: in a polite manner, with politeness (educadamente, con educación)
I don't quite understand you: I can't understand what you mean (no acabo de comprenderte)

 

Click here to read and listen to CONVERSATION # 3 of this classic

 

MAS "CUENTOS CORTOS INGLESES"   FORO   INICIO