LA WEB DE READING COMPREHENSION PREFERIDA POR LOS HISPANOHABLANTES

To get information in Spanish place the arrow of your mouse on the highlighted words without clicking.
Para obtener información en español acerca la flecha de tu ratón a las palabras o frases resaltadas.

WHILE THE AUTO WAITS - ACTIVITIES

William Sydney Porter "O. Henry"

 

If you are an educator the activities below can help you spice up your English class. Enjoy them!!

 

 

A.

ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS.

1.

What subject did the young man choose for his first remark to the girl in gray?

2.

Why did he change his manner of speaking to her?

3.

What did the girl want him to tell her about?

4.

What reason did she give for not telling him who she was?

5.

What did she say about her way of life and her attitude to it?

6.

What did the young man tell her about his position in life and why did he tell her this?

7.

Why did she ask him to stay in the park when she left?

8.

How did the other girl make clear to her that she was late on duty?

9.

What is the significance in the story of the book that she had been reading?

10.

What does the last sentence of the story tell us about the young man?

B.

FIND EXPRESSIONS IN THE TEXT WITH THE SAME MEANING AS THOSE BELOW.

1.

very boldly

2.

waiting to see what would happen to him

3.

to avoid newspaper publicity

4.

a person with too much respect for money and position

5.

I like to get my facts right

6.

the highest levels of society

7.

an idle person

8.

to get on in life

9.

the same boring series of activities

10.

leaned back in comfort

C.

WRITE THIS PASSAGE IN REPORTED SPEECH BEGINNING WITH:
She said that...

 

'It is impossible to keep one's name out of print. This veil and this hat of my maid's hide my identity. You should have seen the chauffeur stare at it when he thought I did not see. There are five or six names that belong to the holy of holies, and mine, by accident of birth, is one of them. I spoke to you because I wanted to talk for once with a natural man. Oh! You do not know how weary I am of it — money, money, money. And of the men who surround me, dancing like dolls all cut by the same pattern. I am sick of pleasure, of jewels, of travel, of society, of luxuries of all kinds.'

D.

READ THROUGH THE STORY AGAIN AND FIND EXAMPLES:

1.

of the ways in which the girl in grey tries to impress the young man with her high social position.

2.

of mistakes she makes which show that she is only pretending.

E.

USE A VERB FROM THIS LIST TO GIVE THE MEANING OF THE EXPRESSIONS IN ITALICS IN EACH OF THE FOLLOWING SENTENCES: can, could, may, might, must, should, would.

1.

She would be able to read for another half hour.

2.

The young man spoke to her and stood for a moment, wondering what she was going to answer.

3.

He asked if he had her permission to sit on the seat beside her.

4.

 'You have my permission if you like,' she answered graciously.

5.

You have to remember that I am a lady.

6.

The park is the only place where I find it possible to meet ordinary working men and women.

7.

Are you able to guess why I spoke to you?

8.

You ought to have seen the chauffeur stare at my hat.

9.

I always thought that money would surely be a pretty good thing.

10.

The young man wanted to accompany her to her car, in case one of those rude men happened to speak to her.

F.

SUBJECTS FOR COMPOSITION AND DISCUSSION:

1.

How does this story illustrate O. Henry's ability to invent and work out a clever plot?

2.

Have you ever been tempted to pretend that you were someone else? Say what happened.

3.

These are two tests of a good 'surprise' ending:
(a) you should not be able to see it coming.
(b) when you think over the story again, you realise that you should have seen it coming, as there were plenty of clues.
Does While the Auto Waits satisfy these tests?
What clues to the ending are given?

 

Click here to read this short story all over again

 

MAS "CUENTOS CORTOS NORTEAMERICANOS"   FORO   INICIO