LA WEB DE READING COMPREHENSION PREFERIDA POR LOS HISPANOHABLANTES

To get information in Spanish place the arrow of your mouse on the highlighted words without clicking.
Para obtener información en español acerca la flecha de tu ratón a las palabras o frases resaltadas.

THE CONCERT SINGER - ACTIVITIES

George P. McCallum

With the help
of its mother,
the little bird
flew away...

 

ACTIVITY "A".
What can you remember about this short story? Read each of the following statements. Choose TRUE if it is correct according to the story; choose FALSE if it is not correct.
Check here your answers.

  1.

Dorothy Brown was very unhappy as she listened to Lauren's first concert.

  2.

As a young girl, Dorothy had studied to be a concert singer, too.

  3.

Professor Bernini told Dorothy she should get married and forget about singing.

  4.

Dorothy and David waited a few years before getting married.

  5.

Dorothy decided her daughter would be the singer she always wanted to be.

  6.

Lauren began taking singing lessons when she was only five years oíd.

  7.

Dorothy wanted her daughter to go to Italy to study with Giovanni Bernini.

  8.

Professor Bernini had too many students and didn't have the time to teach Lauren.

  9.

Lauren wasn't sure she had the talent for a profession in music, but Dorothy was positive her daughter would be a success.

10.

Lauren's first concert took place in Italy.

11.

The newspapermen wrote that the young singer had an unusual talent and wouldn't have to study any longer.

12.

After she returned to the United States Lauren got a letter from Professor Bernini every day.

13.

Jim Harris was a young university student Lauren had met in Italy.

14.

Lauren said she was not thinking of marrying Jim Harris or anyone else.

15.

The young girl was very happy during the time she was at home with her parents.

16.

Dorothy thought her daughter wanted to be in New York and decided to get a new teacher for her.

17.

David believed Lauren, not her mother, must decide what she wanted to do with her life.

18.

Lauren's father told Dorothy that they must not let their daughter sacrifice her life for them.

19.

David agreed to wait a few days before he talked to Lauren.

20.

When Dorothy saw the little bird fly away with the help of its mother, she began to understand that she, too, must help her child.

 

ACTIVITY "B".
Do you know these words from the menus? Complete each of the sentences wiíh the correct word. Use each word once.
Check here your answers.

1. During Lauren's , her life was filled with music.
2. The young girl listened to music on her
.
3. She took
lessons every week from a music teacher.
4. Lauren had a beautíful
and her mother liked to listen to her.
5. Lauren's mother wanted her to be a concert
.
6. Dorothy was sure her daughter's first concert would be a
.
7. The
took place in Town Hall in New York.
8. After leaving the theater, Lauren went to her family's
.
9. Lauren didn't talk very much when she was at home. She was

10. Dorothy saw a young
fly away with the help of its mother.

Source: Contributed by LuisCarlos Valladares, Spain.

Click here to do ACTIVITIES "C", "D" and "E" with answers

 

MAS "CUENTOS CORTOS NORTEAMERICANOS"   FORO   INICIO